Why you should buy an Avanti!
Buying collector cars is an emotional process based on
little more than hormones and the the desire to piss away money. With
this in mind... the following are reasons to buy an Avanti:
For all Avanti Automobiles
- They are drop dead gorgeous
- They are rare and you won't see one every time you turn a
- The fiberglass bodies don't rust
- Good performance
- Chic appeal
- Super exotic car at an affordable price
- Parts are available and they are not terribly expensive.
- If maintained, your Avanti will appreciate in value.
For Studebaker Avanti
- These are the originals
- More performance oriented
- More aggressive rake. (The front is low and the back is
- Interiors were standard in nature and reproductions are
- A variety of supercharged engines
- Round headlights! (63')
- Very high resale value when in good condition.
- Strong, heavy X frame
- Built in roll bar
Avanti II rake versus a Studebaker Avanti
For Altman and Blake Avanti IIs
- Easy to maintain GM engines
- Because interiors and paint were all custom order... there is
no such thing as original!
- These cars were hand made
- Good fit and finish.
- Built in roll bar
- Strong, heavy X frame
For Kelly and Cafaro
- Modern GM frame and suspension
- GM engine
- Extensive use of other GM parts
- Added luxury
- Updated exterior and interior
- Availability of a 4 door, LSC, and convertible
If you have never owned an
Avanti, this is some of what you need to know:
All pre 1987 Avanti automobiles
- Even an 85 Avanti is almost the same car it was 20 years
earlier. The Avanti was engineered in 1962 and did not change much
until 1987. (An Avanti enthusiast must consider this
- The weather stripping is not as soft and does not provide the
seal we are used to today.
- The chassis has numerous grease fittings that require
lubrication twice a year.
- The heating and air conditioning controls are bizarre. (They
work... just bizarrely)
- The sun visors do not swing out to the side.
- Much of the bright work is not chrome. It is stainless
- Go to the Technical area of this website and read about
- There are areas of the frame which are prone to rust. Check
the frame. A qualified welder can easily repair most
- The Avanti was one of the first cars to be equipped with disk
Studebaker Avanti Automobiles
- Although adequate in their day, cars made in the 60's lack the
fit and finish we are used to today. Avantis are no
- All parts are Studebaker. Do you know anyone or can you work
on a Studebaker engine?
- There are purists out there that consider the Studebaker the
only "real" Avanti.
- The Studebaker Avanti had a 289 c.i. engine with a
supercharger option. The supercharged ones are the most
- No air conditioning with a supercharger!
- The 63's had round headlights. Most 64's had round headlights
in square frames.
- They are prone to cooling problems.
- These are raw 60's style muscle cars.
- Early Avantis did not have drip gutters over the doors.
Altman and Blake Avanti IIs
- Avanti IIs have GM engines. Early ones have Corvette engines,
later ones have Camaro.
- Avanti IIs were marketed as luxury sport coupes. They don't
have the "raw" feel of the Studebaker.
- There is no repair manual. The Studebaker Avanti manual is
your only resource for non engine stuff.
- Does not have the rake of the Studebaker Avanti. (Back high,
front low) The Avanti II has a more level, less aggressive
- The frame, suspension, most stuff except the engine are
- Blake dropped the "II" from the name in 1983.
- 84 and 85 Blake Avantis have integrated body color fiberglass
bumpers and square headlamps.
- Blake Avantis built in 84 and 85 have all leather interiors
including dash, headliner, and door panels.
Kelly and Cafaro Avanti Automobiles
- These are basically rebodied El Caminos, Monte Carlos, or
- Interiors are totally updated.
- Four door, LSC, and convertible models are available.
- 88 to 91 coupes and convertibles with ground effects have very
low ground clearance.
- By the year 1989, the bodies are Kevlar reinforced. (Bullet
- Kevlar bodies are very heavy and wear out the springs.
- The convertibles have many quirks including leaky tops with
- Few parts in the 4 door or 90 and 91 covertible, body or
otherwise, are interchangeable with earlier Avantis.
- The major stuff such as engine, transmission, suspension,
etc., can be worked on by any GM dealer.
- All the little gadget stuff is another story....
Avanti Automobiles for sale